This article demonstrates how to use the INSIGHTqcx controller to update the firmware of a QX tool.
‼️ Requirement: The QX tool has to be in display version 3.X or greater to be upgraded with a QCX controller. Older versions will need first to be upgraded using ICS software to at least 3.X.
You will need to be logged in before connecting the tool.
‼️ Requirement: Before connecting the tool to the controller with a USB cable, make sure a battery is inserted on the tool, and that the tool is awake. If the tool is not awake, the MCE version will show 0.0.0.0 and the MCE firmware will not be updated.
‼️ Reminder: To log in, click on the user icon in the top right. Default access when INSIGHTqcx is new or after a factory reset is:
- Username: admin
- Password: ingersoll
The INSIGHTqcx Cordless Controller offers 2 methods to upgrade the firmware for a QX tool.
Method 1: Tool Update Screen
Once logged in, connect the tool using a standard USB-A to mini USB cable to one of the USB ports below the controller:
- Once connected, if there is a firmware mismatch, the Tool Update screen will appear to show the differences between current and recommended software versions. Follow the instructions on the screen to update the tool.
- If both MCE and Display version mismatches are found, then firmware window will update the MCE first if the user clicks on “Yes” button available in the above screenshot
- Steps for MCE Update (if there is a mismatch)
- By clicking on the “Yes” option in the above window, the MCE update will start automatically
- After a successful update, one pop up window will come on screen “Please Pull the trigger”.
- The user needs to pull the trigger on the tool to start to ensure that the MCE is awake and communicating. Then click on the “OK” button on the pop up window.
- After clicking on the OK button, a message will be displayed on the web application “Tool Firmware Updated successfully……….Please reboot the tool after 60 secs”.
- After this message the “IR Logo” will be displayed on the Tool Display for the 60 secs.
- After 60 secs, the Display will return to the Home screen.
- Power cycle the tool by removing the battery and USB cable. Again insert battery.
- Connect the USB cable to the tool to verify the MCE version. On INSIGHTqcx, click on USB icon > USB Tool Info
- If the Display firmware is still a mismatch, please follow the on screen instructions to update the Display firmware.
- After the Tool display shows the “IR logo”, wait 60 secs for the tool to return to the Home screen.
- After this, remove and insert the USB cable to the tool to verify the display version.
Method 2: System Maintenance > Firmware Update
- Another way to update Display is through “System Maintenance”. Navigate to the “Menu” button in the QCX Application. Click on it and the select “System Maintenance-> Firmware Update”.
- Select “Tool Update” from the Update Type drop box. Click on the Update button next to either Display or MCE to update the firmware.
- If update button is disabled, that means there is no firmware file in the controller. User can click on Browse button and upload the desired Display file by clicking on upload button.
- Follow the instructions on the screen. User may have to wait 60 s or pull the trigger as per the instructions shown on screen.